The medieval village of Triora, especially the upper part, has many portals made of slate that was originally extracted in the area called ‘the quarry’. 

An example can be found in via Giauni, the road that runs parallel to the high wall of the ‘collegiata’. On the portal of the Giauni’s residence a shield is engraved, bearing the family emblem representing a spread-wing eagle, the date 1587 and the initials A.G.  The portal was removed by its owners in 1797 in order to spare it from the Napoleonic rampage and was later put into place again. An inscription on a small pillar on the road, before entering Via Dietro la Stretta, reads: 1548, die 28 iulii, the date on which the ‘Collegiata’ was proclaimed ‘insigne’. 

Just above the entrance of the oratory a stone bust can be found portraying Padre Ricca, a Franciscan priest wearing the typical robe and carrying glasses in his left hand. His right hand is placed above the sign reading: P. Petrus Richa. P. Augustus Rubad fieri fecit. 1555. The bust was erected as a sign of gratitude by Antonio Rebaudo for the creation of Sant’Antonio Abate chapel inside the ‘Collegiata’ and for an endowment of 200 gold coins.

The residence of the Gastaldi Family can be found in front of the bust: the family gave birth to mayors, priests, notaries and at least three painters: Lorenzo, padre Battista and his brother Gio Batta, who lived in the XVII century.  The portal is enriched with the family emblem and the following sentence: 

Hauriat aequor tetlum mirmix quo provida felix sit domus haec, cochlea et totum lustraverit orbem  

If you keep walking towards the road starting from Piazza Reggio you will find a sign showing the original location of the ancient oratory of San Giovanni Battista, which was then replaced by a new one. The members of the confraternity used to meet there to make decisions or flagellate themselves to pay for their sins. At the entrance a lamb carrying a cross is depicted; further on a staircase leads to a dark and gloomy place.